MENU

Tech Campus: An Inside Look

Victoria Rockell

At RBCHS, students can get a head start on careers they may wish to pursue in future by going to Lake County Tech Campus. Starting junior year, students may be bused over to the campus at 7:40 am and return around 11 am (with the exception of cosmetology). On campus, the students spend two hours each day training and learning about their trade. Tech campus offers a variety of specialties, including but not limited to firefighting, multimedia design, welding, nursing, and early childhood education. These options offer students the opportunity to earn college credits while in high school and start training in their trade at a young age.

Two of the students from RB that go to tech campus are Jack Alberts and Seth Smith, who are both seniors and attend tech campus as first-year welders.  In Welding, the boys spend some time in the workshop working on projects and some time in the classroom doing bookwork. Both Alberts and Smith plan on using what they learn at tech once they graduate.

Smith recommends that everyone who wants to learn to trade should attend the campus. Both students enjoy it, with Alberts enjoying it so much that his least favorite part is coming back to school.  

“There’s nothing really not to like about it,” Smith said.“It helped me plan what I’m going to do in the future.”